What does it look like and why?

You hear the word ‘diet’ used almost as frequently as ‘Roll Tide’ if you live in the southeast U.S. To most the word means cutting calories, in an attempt to trim up, or even cutting while food groups out of what they eat. Only, they later binge because the mental fortitude it takes to deprive them self of all the foods they enjoy most is too daunting.

Why do people deprive themselves of certain foods?

Usually someone deprives herself of an occasional treat because they have been misinformed by pop-culture and bro-science. Here are just a few myths coming from these sources.

  • Eating fat makes you fat.
  • Eating carbohydrates makes you fat.
  • Eating sugar gives you diabetes (type II)
  • Too much protein causes kidney failure.
  • Gluten is what causes ground zero for the zombie apocalypse.

Just so you know, there is no data supporting any of these claims, as they stand alone. You know when sugar causes type II diabetes? When you lead an almost completely sedentary lifestyle as well as drink (or eat) sugar throughout the day. Not exercising will not allow you to utilize these excess sugars (glucose molecules) floating around in your bloodstream as a fuel source. It will, however, spike insulin and store this extra glucose in adipose (fat) cells. Side note: after HIIT (high intensity interval training) or heavy weight training, a spike in insulin actually speeds recovery from exercise as well as increases muscle protein synthesis.

The only time someone should take a food completely out of their diet is if they have a sensitivity to it, i.e. if you eat something and you get a rash, swelling of tongue, bloating of stomach, gas, ‘foggy brain’ and or grogginess. Try taking that food out for a few weeks and see how you feel. Then reintroduce it to your diet. If you see symptoms again, then you know that you probably shouldn’t eat it.

Mindset behind deprivation diet.

You’re not going to stick to something very long if you’re miserable. So how do we set the right mindset to achieve success and still have our cookies or ice cream?

Moderation!

Stay consistent about 90% of the time. The other 10% save for special occasions or a date night with your significant other. this is something like 1 meal per week. And guess what! You shouldn’t eat like a jerk during that meal either! Save room for a dessert you’ve been craving or clean your large plate of food that you ordered. (Notice I didn’t mention an all-you-can-eat buffet). Anything in over abundance is unhealthy, even chicken breasts and broccoli. Eat 5000 calories a day in these two foods and you’ll still gain fat mass.

Basically what I’m saying is, ‘don’t overthink this thing and just stay consistent’.

Tips For True Success

  • Eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed.
  • Eat when you’re hungry.
  • 2/3 of your plate should be veggies.
  • 1/3 of your plate should be a protein.
  • Thumb sized fat portion on your plate.
  • Have one treat a week.
  • Don’t drink your calories.
  • Go light on the sauces and dressings.

Do what is stated in the picture of the title of this blog and you’ll be on a better path than before.


– Tyler Wright, Nutrition coach and CF-1