“What’s the point of fitness anyway?”
When your life is busy, you may be wondering how to squeeze in exercise. And besides, what’s the point? You’re healthy. You eat right most of the time. You’re active. You play with your kids and take them to soccer practice. Why make a point to work out?
The reality is we need exercise to strengthen our entire bodies. Muscles, including your heart, should be worked for optimal performance. If you don’t work them, they will naturally degenerate as you age, resulting in the inability to play with your grandkids.
Forge Rx is a family-owned fitness gym with locations in Winder and Braselton dedicated to making you fitter for life. We are passionate about giving you the tools you need to live the best life ever. And there’s no better way to do this than with functional fitness.
WHAT IS FUNCTIONAL FITNESS?
Functional fitness is performing exercises to improve your ability to perform everyday tasks — to function in life. With functional fitness, you are training for the entire movement. For example, if you want to jump, it takes many of your body’s systems cooperating together to perform the movement, such as the nervous, cardiovascular, respiratory, and musculoskeletal systems. You’ll perform activities in a controlled environment, such as at your local gym, that mimic real life. Hence, if you love to mountain bike, you’ll want to incorporate cycle classes into your workout routine, such as those we offer here at Forge Rx.
WHAT MOVEMENTS DOES FUNCTIONAL FITNESS ENTAIL?
- Farmer’s carry. Perhaps the quintessential functional fitness exercise, farmer’s carry entails picking up heavy weights and walking with them. Think about the number of bags you usually carry in from the grocery store or even your toddler you pick up and carry.
- Pull ups. Body weight exercises are one of the best ways to develop functional fitness. Pull ups, while focusing on the arms, also develops back strength, which protects you from back injuries as you age.
- Air squat. Another fantastic body weight exercise that you use virtually every day, as you pick up laundry, refill your dog’s bowl, or retrieve your child’s toy he or she has dropped a million times as he or she discovers gravity. For an added bonus, add in a jump to your air squat to train the fast-twitch muscle fibers to fire.
- Lunges. Lunges not only build strength in your legs, but they also improve balance, mobility, and core stability all at the same time. Side lunges work your buttocks as well as your back extensors. They also increase hip mobility as you open up your legs.
- Push ups. Push ups train the chest, shoulders, and core. Add in a stability ball to throw in the element of balance for a challenge. Push ups are great to increase upper body strength as a whole.
HOW TO CHOOSE A FUNCTIONAL FITNESS ROUTINE
- Determine your fitness goals and your activity goals. For instance, if you want to run a 5k, you’ll want to incorporate functional fitness activities that improve your cardiovascular endurance. HIIT workouts (high-intensity interval training) are great for this. Forge Rx incorporates HIIT training into a lot of our group fitness classes, such as Cycle-Rx and Sweat Rx.
- Make sure you are training all domains, including flexibility, strength, balance, coordination, power, and endurance. You’ll need all of these in order to perform at your best level for all the activities in your life.
- Make sure you are including multiple planes in your workout. The three planes of movement include the frontal (side to side), sagittal (forwards and backwards for example running), and rotational (twisting around the center line).
- Add in weights. You’ll need some resistance in order to build strength. Adding in a weight training class a few times a week will not only help you build muscle, lose weight, and train harder, but it will serve you later on in life when your body naturally loses muscle mass as you age. Forge Rx’s Flex-Rx and Lift-Rx group fitness classes both focus on strength-building, using barbells and dumbbells throughout the class.
HOW FORGE RX CAN HELP
Forge Rx was founded to help others find balance in their life with fitness, nutrition, and wellness. Physical fitness will not only help you live a longer life, but it will also improve your quality of life. There is something priceless about being able to get down on the floor with your grandkids and play games at their level. When you go on vacation, you want to be able to hike to the base of the beautiful waterfall and feel its spray on your face, walk all day long through one of the most famous cities in the world, or swim in the ocean currents as dolphins play nearby.
Forge Rx offers you a myriad of ways to obtain your desired level of fitness while not being bored by it all. We offer group fitness classes that you can do with a friend to make it more fun. In these group fitness classes, you’ll find a variety of functional fitness training that focuses on strength, cardio, and endurance. We incorporate high intensity interval training (HIIT) in our cycle classes and most of our classes, as well as offer yoga classes to improve your mobility and balance. Our specialty classes will focus on one area, which is great to add in to your fitness routine. These include Core Rx that will train midline stability in a circuit-style workout that will always keep your body guessing and Kettlebell Rx, which incorporates kettlebells, one of the most versatile pieces of workout equipment that we can use to train your whole body.
Forge Rx even offers a Ladies Rx class for the ladies who may be uncomfortable using weights in a mixed group, or who just want some gal-pal time. We offer child care as well for those busy moms who need to cram in a workout with their kids in tow. If you need a more tailored workout routine or are just looking to jump-start your fitness journey, Forge Rx offers personal training to customize your interests and your fitness goals. Forge Rx offers nutrition counseling as well for those looking to eat healthier, give up dieting for good, and develop a food plan for life.
Forge Rx believes in helping you in all areas of your health and well being — fitness, nutrition, and wellness. When you combine all aspects of wellness, you’ll maximize your results as you lead your best life ever. Forge Rx has two locations to better serve you — in Winder and Braselton. Contact us today!